Thursday 12 June 2014

Knitting Knook...

A few days ago I had the pleasure of spending a full day with my knitting group! (I know... a full day knitting! It was bliss!!)

We are affiliated with the university's Student Volunteer Centre, who were hosting a celebration of some of the projects that they run. We were invited to have our own little "Knitting Knook" for the day, showcasing what we do, so that people could drop in and take part if they wanted to. The other societies that were there were all very friendly, and some people from MagicSoc entertained us with a few tricks, leaving us astonished! At one point I had a deck of cards in my hands suddenly turn into a glass block without me noticing! The two boys, after their performances, then asked to learn to knit - so it was a lovely atmosphere where everyone could share their interests :-)

Here are our knitters...

We decided to focus our attention on putting more blankets together for the hospice - we have had so many squares donated to us, so there was a lot of scope for what we could do.
And we all learnt something new too! None of us are really a fan of sewing knitting up, and one of our lovely knitters showed us how to crochet the squares together - it is SO much faster! (Something I really could have done with when putting the other blanket together!)

I decided to use my newfound crochet skills to make granny squares out of remnants that we had left over from other charity knits. I already knew what the group had, so it was just a case of thinking about what to make, and granny squares seemed like the best option :-)

I did underestimate my skill, and overestimated the speed of crochet. I had somehow gotten the crazy notion that I could make the whole blanket in a day... well with the magic trick performances and all the chatting we did, I only got one square done...


(This photo was taken at the coffee shop me and a friend went to afterwards - it was a hot day, and no other place in the Uni had air conditioning!)

The day was scheduled to take place from 11am-3pm, but with the coffee shop visit I was knitting from 11am-6pm! That's the thing with crafting, once you start you just can't stop!
It was a really lovely day and I feel so lucky to have such wonderful knitting buddies :-)

4 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun!! I love that you thought you could make a whole blanket in a day... Maybe one of the magicians could have! Lol keep up the good work.. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a really fun gathering, and what a great idea to crochet the squares together! Always fun to learn a new trickl and be doing something good for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems you had a great day!!! With so much fun! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I am so jealous of you and your fun knitting buddies. What a wonderful day indeed.
    Well done you all for creating a blanket for charity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!